Dear Cammeraygal Community,
I am writing to update you on the progress of our senior campus and our request for additional outdoor space, and to seek your further assistance in that endeavour.
The development application for the senior campus has now been submitted to North Sydney council: http://masterview.northsydney.nsw.gov.au/Pages/XC.Track/SearchApplication.aspx?id=010.2017.00000214.001 Detailed plans can be viewed at council. There is much about the plans that is very exciting, but unfortunately the original Hall proposal has been submitted and NOT our future focused proposal that would additional outdoor recreational space. (To recap: our proposal is to bring the hall to ground level, improving disabled and after hour access, and add a roof-top sports facility.)
Over 70 members of our community recently wrote to various elected officials – once again, thank you for your support. The department is preparing a ‘contentious issues’ paper for the Education Minister, but we are yet to receive a response. The position of the project team will be that they disagree with our proposal – that it is in excess of basic requirements, that it would be more costly, and that it would slow the project down. Broadly, our view on this is that:
- The bare minimum is inadequate, and does not take into account the future needs of the school;
- No costings have been produced, and no meaningful efforts have been made to explore co-funding with council; and
- No assessment has been done of the potential impact on timing of a slightly different hall design, and the majority of works (redevelopment of the existing building) can be carried out independently.
We also continue to have supportive discussions with North Sydney Council, and recently went to the media (Push to expand hall project).
We will continue to make representations as a P&C, but numbers certainly count. You can assist by:
- Writing to Rob Stokes MP, NSW Minister for Education (via online form: https://www.nsw.gov.au/your-government/ministers/minister-for-education/).
- Making a submission to North Sydney Council in relation to the DA. The review period ends August 18th. Submissions can be made via this site: https://www.northsydney.nsw.gov.au/Building_Development/Current_DAs/DA_Comments/DA_Have_Your_Say
To help make this easy for you we have again prepared letter templates to use if you would like guidance on what to write. In the attached files you will find a letter template options for each of Minister Stokes and the council. You are of course free to tailor as you wish or write something different.
Diagrams of Alternative Proposals